Fall 2020 Program dates
|First Day of Classes
Estimated program Budgets can be found above in the "Budget Sheets" box or by clicking the links below:
- Fall Semester
- Spring Semester
Program costs coming soon!
Discover your world at AUC
- The American University in Cairo was founded in 1919 by Americans devoted to education and community service in the Middle East. Today, AUC is the region's premier English-language university -- an essential contributor to the social, political and cultural life of the Arab world. It also serves as a crossroads for the world's cultures: a vital, vibrant forum for reasoned argument, spirited debate, and understanding across cultures.
- Chartered and accredited in the United States and Egypt, it is an independent, not-for-profit, equal-opportunity institution. AUC upholds the principles of academic freedom and is dedicated to excellence. For more about the Mission, Vision, and Values of AUC, click this link.
- The university has been recently renovated, moving from Old Cairo to New Cairo. The new location offers students a more open atmosphere and a completely redesigned campus - complete with access to a 400,000-volume library, restaurants and cafeterias, gyms and sporting areas, and a bank.
- New Cairo is about a 30-45 minute drive from downtown Cairo. With a population estimated to be 18-20 million people, Cairo is a lively city with never-ending areas to explore. The Triumphant City, known officially as al-Qahirah, is one of the world's largest urban areas and offers many sites to see.
- Cairo is the administrative capital of Egypt and close by is almost every Egyptian Pyramid. For example the Great Pyramids of Giza located on the very edge of the city. There are also ancient temples, tombs, Christian churches, magnificent Muslim monuments, and the Egyptian Antiquities Museum all either within or nearby the city.
The American University in Cairo is designed much like universities located in the US. AUC offers courses in numerous fields. Students will choose their classes from the undergraduate catalog. Please visit AUC's website for a list of courses.
Students may enroll in a maximum of 15 credits in this program.
Admission to the program is selective. Previous successful applicants have had GPAs higher than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Arabic Language Institute
- The Department of Arabic Language Instruction (ALI) is the academic unit within AUC responsible for the teaching of the Arabic language, primarily as a second language.
- The department’s aim is to provide high quality, proficiency-oriented Arabic language instruction, at all levels, to students of different interests, backgrounds and careers.
- ALI hosts one of the most acclaimed intensive Arabic language programs in the Arab world. Its distinctiveness lies in the great diversity of its course offerings, the high caliber of its faculty and its excellent faculty-to-student ratio.
- Students are taught Arabic in an integrated, proficiency-oriented program. The program accommodates students at all levels of language proficiency and tailors courses to address their specific purposes. The courses offered are skill-based, focusing on reading, writing, speaking and listening, as well as content-based, using media, political texts, business, literature, etc.
- An integral part of the intensive program is the cultural dimension. The program includes tours and trips to major Pharaonic, Christian and Islamic monuments inside and outside of Cairo, as well as excursions to local archaeological sites and museums. The visits supplement the coursework and are led by professional guides. ALI subsidizes a large portion of the expenses of this component. The program also includes extracurricular activities including calligraphy, music, Quranic studies, community engagement and more.
Your Home Away From Home
The Office of Residential Life manages the New Cairo Campus Dorms. The dorms offer a fair number of amenities as well as a vibrant community of fun and social activities. Choosing to stay in student housing provides a wonderful opportunity to meet new friends and build a support system in a foreign country.
- The Office of Residential Life also provides students with opportunities to travel and explore Cairo through day trips, cultural and social events, and various excursions around Egypt.
- If you would like to focus on practicing your Arabic skills, it is possible to request an Arabic speaking roommate on your housing application.
- University residences are fully furnished and include pillows, linens, towels, cleaning services, and laundry service.
- Like all University buildings, the residences offer high-speed wireless internet connections.
- While AUC offers a great home to international students, it is important to remember that AUC does not offer a meal plan for students. You will be responsible for your own meals. New Cairo campus offers a range of options in our Food Court, as well as a convenience store. Cairo also offers a number of restaurants – from standard Western-style fast food to traditional Egyptian cuisine – there is something for everyone’s tastes.
- The residence life staff put on events throughout the semester which the students can participate in (game nights, cultural night, and the like).
Students living on campus are a five-minute walk from the fantastic Athletic Facility, Olympic size swimming pool, libraries, classrooms, and food court. Students living on campus can also access New Cairo’s growing shopping and restaurant district via AUC’s bus system. The New Cairo student residences offer single, double and suite-style rooms, student lounges, television and computer lounges, study areas, and kitchenettes.
AUC Transportation Services
AUC offers a private transportation network to connect students to the city, as well as connecting students who live in central Cairo to the campus in New Cairo. It is important for students to have access to the campus, the city, and the multitude of social, cultural, and educational opportunities Cairo offers as a part of their experience at AUC.
The University bus system is reserved for AUC students, faculty, and administration, and serves both city residents who commute to campus during the week, and students living on campus who wish to experience the Cairo nightlife or explore the city on weekends.
The buses are air-conditioned and also offer Wi-Fi access. For students living in AUC’s On-Campus student residences, you may buy either an unlimited bus pass to access the city or pay per ride.
For more information on AUC Transportation, including schedules, stops, and services, please see the AUC Bus Service website
Visa and Immigration